When professionalism reaches crazy heights
I’ve been seeing clients now for around 15 years. I love my job; there is nothing greater than seeing a light bulb moment of realisation in another human being. If I’m also honest, I have had a whole load of light bulb moments in the presence of my clients. Often hidden, but sometimes something is said and I wonder why I hadn’t realised that very same thing for myself. One thing I never really talk about is the slightly weird, scary or funny things that happen. Most of the tales I am giving you here happened a very long time ago. But they stay in your mind and sometimes at dinner parties I share them. So here for you are my top five things that have taken my work out of my comfort zone.
- My first and last migraine, I slowly lost slight in my right eye, and then lost sight in my left eye, no head pain, just no vision. I was sat giving a consultation for a client and I didn’t miss a beat in what I was saying and I didn’t let on that I had just turned completely blind, just had to say ‘you’re OK finding your own way out?’ After they left I closed my eyes as I knew I had five minutes before the next client, and tried to work out what to do. When I opened my eyes again I could see. If my next client had come in with a limp, I might have tried making her walk! It was a miracle!
- Male clients who when I asked ‘Do you have any final questions?’ he said ‘Yes, why have I been obsessed by your breasts for the last hour?’ Without missing a beat, I said ‘Because you weren’t breast fed as a baby and I am nurturing you like a mother.’ Pulled that one out of my socks, but it was spot on!
- Psychotic paranoid person came to see me after hours when no-one else was in the building, took her chair moved it in front of the door blocking my exit and properly turned a bit nuts. I talked her round by being a bit nuts myself and saying that the angels were talking to be and I couldn’t hear them whist she was in the room and she left. I called a friend who had to help me get out of the building as she was waiting for me outside. Before you think ‘how come you didn’t know…’ well I no longer book appointments via text that’s for sure!
- A Paedophile client who was about to go to prison wanted me to ‘tune into’ his child sex abuse to see if the children thought it was abuse. Whenever I said something he didn’t like, he used EFT to take away the negative emotions what I said was causing. A great lesson in keeping your own judgement out of your practice.
- Gay male client who spent the whole session while we were talking about his boyfriend thinking about having sex with me. When I called him on it, he said he had done this to hundreds of intuitive people and no-one else picked up on it. I put to him perhaps I’m just the only one brave enough to talk to him about it! An interesting and uncomfortable test of my ability!
I have an amazing job, a real privileged to be able to connect with the condition known as human. I just wanted to share some of these with you, as often when people come to see me, they say ‘I’d like to talk about relationships, but I guess you get that all the time.’ There is no common reason people come to see me, and the above is quite diverse!